Second batch of my pottery just came out of the kiln yesterday. Every time it is a surprise because you just never know what your pieces are going to look like.
This time I was focusing on patterns and glazes. Tried some patterns to see how they would come through (or not) the glazing. Also took some risks in glazing to learn more.
Applied the rope pattern and some carving techniques to these pieces. The blue piece, mainly due to the glaze, exceeded my expectation. The blue glaze broke on the rope pattern beautifully making the carmel brown ridges enhancing the rope effect. But the same pattern in shiny bone glaze did not work out so much. Turns out I wiped off too mug of the iron oxide I had applied underneath it (the dark spots you see).
The truly risky piece and the biggest surprise was this one, shape was inspired by artichokes. Used this glaze called Amy’s green, because the piece is so organic and I wanted to try it. For the inside I used white glaze. Those of you who have experimented with pottery and glazing will know how devastating it can be to ruin a pot you really like. I was told this glaze can look like ‘baby poop‘ if it is not applied right. So I followed a fellow potters advice about dipping the pot very quickly and hope for the rest! I nearly jumped up and down in happiness when I saw the final result.
The black cube I made did not exactly turn out… was not sure how black or what kind of reaction it would have once fired. Used wax and white glaze for the heart and holes. It is OK for an experiment but learned to be more intentional with this glaze for next time.